February 22, 2009

Finding Fire Mandala

Finding Fire, Acrylic and mixed media on board, approx 40x40cm


This new mandala is about finding your inner 'fire', your personal power, strength and optimism. It's about being connected to your inner sun and overcoming challenges using your own resources, staying positive and not letting external or internal 'darkness' get you down.



It was also a way to introduce re-cycling and a more textured, three dimensional approach to my mandalas; I've always loved the dimensionality of the Tibetan monks sand mandalas. I built up the textured areas using paper maiche made from old newspapers, and the sequins were left over from a previous project. I can't wait to print this one onto a bag!

Co-incidentally, as I was finishing off this piece I saw an interview with Australian artist Tim Storrier, who is best known for depicting - you guessed it - fire, in his canvasses. The synchronicity of life never ceases to awe me.

No comments:

Post a Comment